The following agreement applies to all applicants (students and interns), who are enrolling in any program or service offered by Meiji Academy and its affiliated partners. We tried to clearly state all points concerning your rights and obligations under this agreement. Please make sure to read it and feel free to contact us, if you have any questions.
1. Formation and Completion of Contract
To enable the formation of a contract between the applicant and the school, a request needs to be placed by the prospective student in written form first.
- A request is defined by the applicant either sending an initial email request and/or filling out the Study Estimate Form on Meiji Academy’s website.
- The request will lead to the school organizing a Skype interview for further course counseling or directly sending an estimate to the applicant. If the applicant intents to pay the stated sum, a formal contract is established.
- If the applicant wishes to be released from the contract, he/she has to contact the school in written form directly.
2. Application Conditions
All application conditions below need to be met, that the applicant is eligible to enroll in the courses offered by Meiji Academy.
- The minimum age for the study courses are 14 years and for the internship program 18 years for individual students. Minors (20 years below by Japanese Law) require permission for their studies by a parent or legal guardian.
- The requested course has to be still available and not fully booked at the respective date.
- The remaining time before the start of the course has to be sufficient to insure the course can take place. A minimum time of one month before course start is required.
- The school judges the applicant’s medical, physical and mental condition. In case the schools feels that the applicant may not be prepared for the pressures of studying, working and living in Japan, an application can be refused.
Please note that the school has the exclusive right to refuse any application without reason at the sole discretion of the school.
3. Terms of Payment
After the applicant has filled out the Application Form and related forms we require for conducting the program, a formal invoice will be sent with a specific date until the money hast to be paid. Please note that, the school is unable to reserve any courses or accommodations with outstanding payments to be settled. Meiji Academy accepts the following types of payments; Paypal, Flywire, Bitcoin or international bank transfers. All related bank transfer, money exchange and other commissions that might arise during any money transaction have to paid by the applicant.
4. Termination Policy
- If the host company terminates the internship placement for reasons unrelated to the intern’s conduct,
Meiji Academy attempts to arrange a new placement with another placement. No additional fees will be charged for this service.
- If the host company terminated the internship placement for reasons related to the intern’s conduct, Meiji Academy might arrange arrange an alternate internship at additional fees, yet it is not obligated to arrange any alternate placements.
- If the intern refuses an offer by the host organization, Meiji Academy will terminate these terms and conditions.
- If the intern terminates the internship for personal reasons, Meiji Academy is not obliged to arrange any alternative internship placement. Same applies to when the intern leaves the organization before the official end of the agreed internship. The intern agrees to inform Meiji at least 7 days prior to his proposed departure of the host company.
- Meiji Academy reserves the right to cancel this contract and terminate the intern’s complete program at any time in case of unprofessional and inappropriate behavior by the intern itself. Examples of unprofessional behavior include causing physical or mental harm to others, damaging property, rude actions or words, gossiping and spreading negative feelings amongst others, absence from work, performing tasks at work with obvious negligence, theft and other actions that are not acceptable.
- Meiji Academy cannot guarantee that the intern will be successful or happy in this program as it depends on too many factors that the applicant would have to deal with personally. Studying, working and living in another country, speaking a different language, being exposed to an unfamiliar social environment with specific customs, trying to make friends maintaining health and eating properly are just a handful of difficult aspects of this program. The intern fully understands that their selection for this program acknowledges their independent nature and ability to take personal responsibility for their well-being and success throughout the internship.
You may withdraw from any of our programs and services offered at any given time, yet it has to be done via a written request. Depending on which program you are enrolled in and what date the cancellation takes place, a cancellation fee will be imposed.
|Date of Cancellation||Refund Amount|
|More than 49 days before the start date of the course||100% Refund of Study Courses, Internship Program, Accommodation and Accommodation Arrangement Fee|
|Between 28 and 49 days before start date of the course||100% Refund of Study Courses, Accommodation and 80% Refund of Internship Program|
|Between 7 and 28 days before start date of the course||80% Refund of Study Courses and Accommodation|
|Less than one week before start date of the course||50% Refund of Study Courses and Accommodation|
|After start of the course||For all cancelled weeks of the Study Courses that are more than two weeks in advance after the cancellation request is received: ¥1,000JPY per Group lesson only|
5. Course Changes & Additional Charges
In the unlikely event that a class only has one or two students, the student will receive an adjusted timetable.
- Standard Course: 15 private or semi private lessons per week.
- Intensive Japanese: 15 private or semi private lessons plus two private lessons.
- Japanese Business, Traditional Culture and Pop Culture: same as the Standard Course plus the course specific activities/classes per week
If the applicant wishes to change his/her former course or extend the current course, it can usually be facilitated. However, short notice periods by the applicant and full time schedules during high seasons, can disrupt the applicant’s timetable in regards to time, money and organization of certain courses (especially applies to work programs). Further charges will also apply in the case of rearranging accommodations and internships. For a detailed list of additional charges that might apply, please have a look below.
- Course Change: ¥6,000JPY
- Accommodation: ¥9,000JPY
- Internship: ¥30,000JPY
6. Intern’s Obligations and Responsibilities
- Stay in regular contact with us and reply to all communications from Meiji Academy.
- Attend all scheduled interviews on time, including Skype, telephone and real life interviews.
- Follow the rules, policies and requirements by the host company.
- Abide by the specific days and hours of attendance at the office of your host company.
- Observe and respect Japanese culture, customs, laws and regulations in Japan.
7. Website & Promotional Material
Meiji Academy will do ist best to accommodate its prospective students, yet we cannot take any responsibility for the following matters.
- If a student cannot obtain a passport and/or visa, or if he or she is, for whatever reason, refused entry into Japan by the Japanese Immigration Bureau.
- If a student cannot get his or her visa in time or extend it after his or her arrival.
- If there is a disaster, a war, a strike, terrorist activity, or any other equally grave unforeseen circumstance.
- The school accepts no responsibility for accidents or trouble during a student’s stay in Japan. The student has to enroll in an overseas travel insurance or use our travel insurance service offered.
- The school cannot accept responsibility for any physical, mental or economic damages suffered by the student from causes beyond the control of the school.
- If a student causes any damage to his or her place of accommodation, the student is responsible for the cost of damage. Also, if the school’s reputation or facilities are damaged because of the student, we will claim damages against the student.
- From the time of arrival to Japan, the student is responsible for his or her own actions, and is personally liable for any damages arising from action in breach of law, regulations, customs, or the rules of the school. In any of these cases, the school cannot accept responsibility.
- The student is responsible for any accidents occurring during activities such as sports, and is responsible for purchasing additional insurance for any sports requiring coverage. In any case corresponding to any of the above conditions, the school will under no circumstances return any tuition fees.
The terms of this agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the Japanese Law. Any litigation and legal dispute is exclusively dealt under the jurisdiction of the Fukuoka Prefectural Court.
10. Amendment of this Agreement
This agreement may be amended at any time without prior notice to the applicant. It is the responsibility of the student to follow up on any changes that might apply to his or her application.
The terms of this agreement apply to all courses, programs and services offered by Meiji Academy on or after 9th December, 2015. This terms & conditions were last updated on 1st January, 2018.