The following agreement applies to all students, who are enrolling in any program or service offered by Meiji Academy and its affiliated partners. We tried to clearly state all points concerning your rights and obligations under this agreement. Please make sure to read it and feel free to contact us, if you have any questions.
1. Formation and Completion of Contract
To enable the formation of a contract between the applicant and the school, a request needs to be placed by the prospective student in written form first.
- A request is defined by the applicant either sending an initial email request and/or filling out the Study Estimate Form on Meiji Academy’s website.
- The request will lead to the school sending an estimate to the applicant. If the applicant intents to pay the stated sum, a formal contract is established.
- If the applicant wishes to be released from the contract, he/she has to contact the school in written form directly.
2. Application Conditions
All application conditions below need to be met, that the applicant is eligible to enroll in the courses offered by Meiji Academy.
- The minimum age for the Japanese course is 14 years for individual students. Minors (20 years below by Japanese Law) require permission for their studies by a parent or legal guardian.
- The requested course is either unavailable or fully booked at the respective dates.
- The remaining time before the start of the course has to be sufficient to insure the course can take place. A minimum time of one month before course start is required.
- The school judges the applicant’s medical, physical and mental condition. In case the schools feels that the applicant may not be prepared for the pressures of studying and living in Japan, an application can be refused.
Please note that the school has the exclusive right to refuse any application without reason at the sole discretion of the school.
3. Terms of Payment
After the applicant has filled out the Application Form and related forms we require for conducting the program, a formal invoice will be sent with a specific date until the money hast o be paid. Please note that, the school is unable to reserve any courses or accommodations with outstanding payments to be settled. Meiji Academy accepts three different types of payments; Paypal, Flywire or international bank transfers. All related bank transfer, money exchange and other commissions that might arise during the money transaction have to paid by the applicant.
4. Termination Policy
You may withdraw from your studies at any given time. However, depending on what date the cancellation takes place, a cancellation fee will be imposed.
|Date of Cancellation||Refund Amount|
|28 days prior to the start date of the course||100% Refund of Course, Accommodation, Accommodation Arrangement and Work Placement Fees|
|Between 7 and 28 days before start date of the course||80% Refund of Course, Accommodation and Work Placement Fees|
|Less than one week before start date of the course||50% Refund of Course, Accommodation and Work Programs|
|After start of the course||For all cancelled weeks more than two weeks after the cancellation request is received: Accommodation and ¥1,000JPY per Group lesson only|
5. Course Changes & Additional Charges
In the unlikely event that a class only has one or two students, the student will receive an adjusted timetable.
- Standard Course: 15 private or semi private lessons per week.
- Intensive Japanese: 15 private or semi private lessons plus two private lessons.
- Japanese Business, Traditional Culture and Pop Culture: same as the Standard Course plus the course specific activities/classes per week
If the applicant wishes to change his/her former course or extend the current course, it can usually be facilitated. However, short notice periods by the applicant and full time schedules during high seasons, can disrupt the applicant’s timetable in regards to time, money and organization of certain courses (especially applies to work programs). Further charges will also apply in the case of rearranging new work placements and accommodations. For a detailed list of additional charges that might apply, please have a look below.
- Internship Placement: ¥10,000JPY
- Cultural Experience: ¥15,000JPY
- Course Change: ¥5,000JPY
- Accommodation: ¥8,000JPY
The school will do ist best to accommodate its prospective students, yet we cannot take any responsibility for the following matters:
① If a student cannot obtain a passport and/or visa, or if he or she is, for whatever reason, refused entry into Japan by the Japanese Immigration Bureau.
② If a student cannot get his or her visa in time or extend it after his or her arrival.
③ If there is a disaster, a war, a strike, terrorist activity, or any other equally grave unforeseen circumstance.
④ The school accepts no responsibility for accidents or trouble during a student’s stay in Japan. The student should be sure to enroll in overseas travel insurance.
⑤ The school cannot accept responsibility for any physical, mental or economic damages suffered by the student from causes beyond the control of the school.
⑥ If a student causes any damage to his or her place of accommodation, the student is responsible for the cost of damage. Also, if the school’s reputation or facilities are damaged because of the student, we will claim damages against the student.
⑦ From the time of arrival to Japan, the student is responsible for his or her own actions, and is personally liable for any damages arising from action in breach of law, regulations, customs, or the rules of the school. In any of these cases, the school cannot accept responsibility.
⑧ The student is responsible for any accidents occurring during activities such as
sports, and is responsible for purchasing additional insurance for any sports requiring coverage. In any case corresponding to any of the above conditions, the school will under no circumstances return any tuition fees.
The terms of this agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the Japanese Law. Any litigation and legal dispute is exclusively dealt under the jurisdiction of the Fukuoka Prefectural Court.
8. Amendment of this Agreement
This agreement may be amended at any time without prior notice to the applicant. It is the responsibility of the student to follow up on any changes that might apply to his or her application.
The terms of this agreement apply to all courses, programs and services offered by Meiji Academy on or after 9th December, 2015. This terms & conditions were last updated on 13th June, 2017.